Monday, November 4, 2013

It has been a whirlwind autumn for our family.  Starting in May I was offered the job to coach the varsity volleyball team at the high school.  I was not quite prepared for how time consuming that would be.  But through June and July I did some open gyms, and summer leagues.  Then in August we started pre-season and had our first game.  We had an up and down season.  We finished with a 16-19 record that could have been better.  We beat some good teams, which means we were pretty good ourselves.  I'm not sure how much coach had to do with it, but I was glad for the well wishes from other coaches and the administration was great.  But the reason I accepted the job was to promote the church, specifically Jesus.  I want people to be drawn to Him through my ministry.  I have no doubt that this will occur in the next few years.  But for now I have to accept that it is simply a job and I preach with my actions. 
 
With all the time away I feel like my study time has suffered, maybe not so much in time prep, but in the amount of time I think about the sermon.  I still prepare as much as I did before, but I don't feel like I deliver the sermon as well as I could because I didn't have time to process my thoughts like I want to, or should.  Next year, I'll be smarter and schedule more guest preachers during the fall.  But God has been so gracious with me, through all of this, I've had several compliments on the sermons, which lifts my spirits, even if it is just to be nice.  I love when the Holy Spirit allows the congregation to hear the message they need, even if it's not the message I am preaching.  But like always I preach deeper commitment to Christ, and we all need that reminder. 
 
So volleyball season is over, the banquet is left to organize, but after that I'll be taking a break from coaching and focusing on ministry like I need to.  I miss doing more in our clergy group, and have been reduced to a spectator rather than an organizer, which is not so bad.  I'm looking forward to Rachel getting more and more involved with the Community Praise Night at DHS next week.  She thrives when she is challenged musically.  The boys are great, James loves kindergarten and John is doing well talking and learning, being potty trained.  So life is GOOD, and GOD is GREAT!   
 
Thanks for reading the blog, feel free to find us on Facebook.  
 
Peace.    BC

No comments:

Post a Comment