Saturday, May 23, 2009

Refreshing


Hello everyone who reads this post... all three of you. Rachel, James and I are safely back from Atlanta, where we had a great time at the preaching conference. We heard good preachers from across the country, people like Tom Long, Barbara Brown Taylor, Craig Barnes and others. I was touched by their desire to teach pastors, and also about how they each had a unique style. I could tell they all used notes which was comforting to know, but you could hardly tell they did since they spoke so fluidly. I have been debating with myself about NOT using notes and preaching from the text alone, but that can get difficult. I tend to ramble and say too much, and not end well. Will Willimon amazed me when he ended his sermon with a cliff hanger of a statement. I forget it word for word, but it goes something like this... Jesus does those kinds of things... and I just don't understand. Then he just walks away from the pulpit. I was litterally shocked, but inspired. I felt like it was an effective way to get people to remember the topic and content of the sermon.

Anyways, we had a good time visiting some family as well. One of the reason I chose to go to this conference was it's location. I have wanted to visit Atlanta for a while, but never had the opportunity. I got to see my uncle and his family and had a nice dinner with them, also a good friend who I grew up with. My mom and dad came to Atlanta too, they watched James a lot while Rachel and I went to the conference and out to dinner one night. Although on Thursday it was Rachel's birthday and it didn't really feel like her birthday, all I got her was a card. I plan on doing more, Lord willing. So that's where we're at for now.

I pray that we all have a safe Memorial Day, I plan on working around the house and not going in to the church. It will be there for me when I get there Tuesday.

Blessings,

Bunyan

No comments:

Post a Comment